perjantai 21. maaliskuuta 2014

Day 9: Crossing to Sweden

In the morning when I got out of the hostel, I felt like biking to the airport and fly home immediately. It was raining pretty much, cold and yes, very windy. Well, can't control the weather, better just get going. At least I had a really good outdoor jacket, which kept me dry. I was more worried about finding way, because my navigation was now solely depending on iPhone, which I didn't want to wet in the rain. I got about 45 kilometers ride north on the Danish side, to the city of Helsingör, where I would take the ferry to Helsingborg in Sweden.


Danish coast line. Sweden in the horizon on the right side!

When I was getting close to Helsingör the rain suddenly stopped, lifting my spirit immediately. Also seeing the Swedish coast on the other side of the strait made me rejoice, as it reminded me that I was getting closer to home, slowly but steadily. The ferry itself was easy to find and the crossing took only 15 minutes. The staff didn't look so well on me, when I enjoyed the ferry ride lying on the fine canvas benches of the snobby restaurant. (My clothes were not quite as dry and clean as their standard customers'.)


Helsingborg Castle
The mighty castle of Helsingborg welcomed me on Swedish ground. After getting some Svenska Kronor from ATM and eating in McDonalds it was good to continue biking, not least because of the heavy wind on my backside. Around six, just as it was getting dark, something unpleasant happened. A flat tyre, again! I was 10 km from the closest town, but luckily I got there by pumping the tyre full after every few kilometers. I found the Touristbyro, which was closed (typical). But these guys had been more clever than the average, as they had a nice list of possible accommodation options on the outer wall! Just picked up a number of a bed&breakfast and reached it. It was 10 more kilometers away, but the woman who I spoke with was extraordinary friendly and promised to pick me up with a car! Super nice, considering my flat tyre. Heja Sverige!

So I spent the night in a cozy Bed&Breakfast in a little village of Åsljunga. The days kilometer count was around 105, so not bad!

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti