sunnuntai 16. maaliskuuta 2014

First Day

When I lay myself in bed after the first day, I felt like having carried a stone in my back for 60 kilometers. But wait, that's almost exactly what I did. So, the key lesson from day 1: Don't overpack your backpack, or to be more precise, don't have a backpack at all! By now it is quite evident, that I have way too heavy baggage.

Anyway, back to the beginning. After a few last tourist photos in front of Brandenburger gate, I started my journey in a warm sunshine, actually so warm that I find it hard to believe it really is still March. The start was a few hours late from schedule, but that was alright. Easier first day, I thought! But it was already before Spandau, when my lower back first started to pain me. Carrying  close to 15kg in my upper back was not ok, it seemed. Well, after lots of backpack and saddle adjustments during the day it got luckily better, but was still not comfortable. Seriously considering to invest in bags that I could attach to the bike now. Before day 2, I also need to go through my backpack with a critical eye. Elimination of at least a few kilograms is direly needed!

So, back to the day's journey. Biking with backpack was more energy consuming than I had thought, but otherwise going was really nice. Very soon after the center of Berlin, the surroundings changed to nature and everything suddenly went silent. It felt weird after the buzzing Berlin. Couldn't hear almost any sounds anywhere, except occasional bird singing here and there. A nice smooth road along a beautiful river and a bike under, great! Landscapes were nice all day, following lakesides and rivers, occasionally going through forests and several very relaxed and beautiful suburbs.


First real break.


However, at the end of the day I was getting extremely exhausted, and I hadn't gotten nearly as far as I originally had planned. As the sun was getting low, I reached the town of Oranienburg, eager for a nights rest. Found a hotel from my map and went to ask for a room: 70e! I asked for budget options around. The receptionist was really helpful and called to all (not so many) hostels around. All were full, except one which was not answering. This place was bit far from the town but I decided to try my luck. So I gathered my last bits of energy and biked to this hostel-in-the-woods. Arrived at sunset, only to find that it was closed! Noo!


Well, I biked back to where I came from in Oranienburg and took the expensive hotel. Cost me as much as a flight from Berlin to Helsinki, but now when I lie in the soft bed, I don't care at all! Just happy to be here!

I believe the going will all get a lot easier as the journey continues, as my body gets used to this, and as I eliminate the baggage. If I can figure out something to get this pack off my back, even better! But right now, it is time for long and well deserved sleep.

Bis morgen.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti